Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Wedding Shawl in Progress

Now that I'm done with the shrug phase, I have cast on a wedding shawl.  My only niece is getting married in August and I have offered to knit her a light as air, rectangular stole for the wedding.  Picking the lace weight yarn and pattern were the toughest part.  I wanted something delicate, yet durable.  (I hope that one day she can pass the stole down to her own daughter.)  The pattern couldn't be too fussy, because she's not a fussy type.  Her gown is a simple, ivory strapless gown and she is going to be married outside.  

My choices -- Lorna's Laces Helen's Lace in Natural.  It is 50% silk, 50% wool and knits like air.  The pattern -- the Kimono Shawl from Folk Shawls.  It will knit up in a more airy fashion as my lace weight is different than what is called for.  So far, I've cast on, done the 20 row garter stitch border and I am about half way through the first pattern repeat.  No big problems to date, but this is a new project.  

On other fronts, the dogs have taken to their spring digging.  Who needs a rototiller when you have two greyhounds aerating the back yard!  

I have until the beginning of August to finish this shawl.  Plenty of time (I think.)  Keep your fingers crossed.  

No comments: